85 Conservative MPs call for more support for Tourism and Hospitality Sectors
A group of 85 Conservative MPs have written to the Chancellor, calling for a new support package for the tourism and hospitality sectors in wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
While the Government has already introduced measures to help keep businesses afloat, including the furlough scheme and business loans, these MPs argue more specific support is needed.
The letter to Mr Sunak, organised by Anthony Mangnall, the new MP for Totnes, calls for an increase in the business rates relief threshold for these sectors, an extension of the furlough scheme and for a VAT rebate.
This development follows the launch of an inquiry by the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Hospitality and Tourism on how to help businesses in these sectors weather the crisis, while a recent survey found that just one-quarter of eligible businesses had received a hospitality grant.
Commenting, Mr Mangnall said:
“Businesses in the tourism and hospitality sector were some of the first to close due to Coronavirus and in many cases are expected to be some of the last to reopen after lockdown.
While the Government’s existing support schemes are very welcome, we are asking for further measures to support these vital sectors and to provide a more tailored approach to safeguarding jobs, livelihoods and these vital industries.”
For further information, please contact the Office of Anthony Mangnall MP at firstname.lastname@example.org
Anthony Mangnall MP
Member of Parliament for Totnes
Tel: 0207 219 5579
- Mr Mangnall’s letter has been signed by 85 MPs.
- On 16th April, the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Hospitality and Tourism announced an urgent inquiry ‘to establish the best ways to support the recovery of businesses hit by Covid-19 at the right time and in line with Government health advice.’ (Hospitality & Catering News, 16.04.20)
- A UK Hospitality survey, published on 27th April, found that 25% of eligible businesses had received hospitality grants. (UK Hospitality, 27.04.20)
- According to the latest figures from the Visit Britain, the tourism industry supports 3.1m jobs in the UK
- Analysis by UK Hospitality of ONS figures concluded that the hospitality sector contributes £72 billion of Gross Value Added to the UK economy in 2018. (UK Hospitality)